Saturday, June 30, 2007

Only Arabs Don't Need Security

Left: Move on, no random brutality to see here...

Another exchange with Joel. This one might actually be worth reading, given the reigning culture of racism in the US and in the West in general.

Joel writes...

Subject: Random what?

joel272us
Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 11:14 AM
Reply-To: XXX
To: feroze.sidhwa@gmail.com

You walk through a checkpoint unopposed, and you spin this non-event into 'Random Brutality".
Wow.
Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.

I respond...

Feroze Sidhwa
Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 4:43 PM
To: XXX
Hi Joel,

I wasn't "unopposed", I was unacknowledged. When large men with guns ignore you, but you know they usually stop you, you become frightened. You second guess yourself, you walk away not knowing if you have a rifle pointed at your back. Every time the soldiers say something you spin around, wondering if they're calling you back. Yes, that is random brutalization of an entire population and, on that day, of me. If you don't understand why maybe you should go walk around some place where you're not sure if the men with guns are planning on shooting you or not, it's quite an experience.

I'll put it another way: there's a sniper tower in front of Musa's house. When I walk outside to talk to my girlfriend (I don't get cell phone service inside the house) I have no idea if the men in the tower are pointing their weapons at me. Maybe they're discussing whether or not they should kill me to "teach the Palestinians a lesson". Maybe they're bored. Maybe they're high, who knows? So I guess I'm "unopposed" by the men in the sniper tower, since they're not physically stopping me from speaking on the phone. The same way the DC sniper didn't actually stop anyone from doing anything except the actual people whom he shot dead. But he still inflicted a reign of "random brutality" and terror on the entire population of Washington and Baltimore, and I think that's a bit too obvious to discuss any further.

Peace,
Feroze